Re: Painting Rims

>After all this paint job discussion and a bit of the rim choice ive come up
>with a hybrid question..
>what about painting rims???
>Hhah
>Cause you see I have a potentialy cool situation:
>(4) MSW type 21's (i think) in cheeeesy gold
>(4) BBS's 5 star with white painted around them.
>
>I really want to paint the BBS's black and ditto with the MSW's.  A friend of
>mine showed me an experiment of his... he spraypainted one of his safty tires
>all black with several (ok a ton) of krylon spraypaint.  The thing looked
>beautiful.. i mean really good. Weather it would last with day to day use is
>another question.  Soooo any comments??

I *did* suggest to VWCrazy tim to get those very same MSW 21's and paint
them black, did I not?  My other set of rims is a set of lame-ass cheap-o
trendy piece-of-shasta 5-point (star) AMERICAN RACING RIMS.  Ugh!  However,
I have a black car.  I painted the actual star black and left the lip
silver.  Of course, I painted RIGHT OVER the ARE symbol, too.  Now, they
look kick-ass.  I have my auto-x tires mounted on them now.  I might put
snow tires on them.  However, since I only autox w/ them, and I only used
them 2x in it, I have like 6 miles on them!  But I don't see any reason at
all why the paint wouldn't hold.  I did in 2 days, so it's not a big
operation.  Paint costed pennies, too.  The black rim/silver lip also looks
cool on silver cars, too.  Get those 21's in cheesy gold and paint RIGHT
OVER 'em.

Chris Taylor
'87 16v Scirocco

West Ambler Johnston Hall