Re: your mail

I too have an '84 Scirocco. (I've had a few in fact) and on virtually
every single one, the water pump goes, which tends to put out the
same signals. Check this bit first. Also, you might find that if the
head gasket is going the oil will start getting into the water
system, which will definitely make it run hot.