Starter Shot!!

        Damnit!  I just got a new exhaust (non perfomance), started her up
and found my thermostat wasn't working.  Got that changed and it wouldn't
start the next morning, just DEAD, NOTHING!  All I could here was a click in
what_I_think_was the solenoid.

        A new starter for a 86 8V Scirocco is .... $520 + 15% tax.!!! *argh!*

        I have a few choices:

        - second hand, from junk yard: $75
        - Reconditioned with 3 month warranty: $265
        - Get this place to rebuild it with 1 yr warranty for $140.

        Are there places out there that can "fix" a starter?

Any help is much appreciated!!

With all the problems I haven't gotten my car off the driveway for the past
week!!

Kevin.