Re: Help please: 85 Scirroco shutdown...(long due to detail

<< Also, let me throw this out to the group.....what's everyone's
 preference for gas?  Out here in the Seattle area, Arco is the least
 expensive (and also the most convenient for me for  a few reasons)
 but my Chevy will run on anything.  I think I owe it to the Scirroco
 to give it a better grade in exchange for a more pleasant drive :) >>

I will reply on this. IMHO or, IMHE, engines that run on higher octane fuel
are cleaner, internally. (I used to rebuild small aviation engines.) Engines
that ran on lower octane fuels (rental planes usually) would be the nastiest
engines to tear down. The valve seats were just beat to hell, the valves were
just as beat. Just alot of carbon build up on the entire combustion chamber.
 The more expensive engines (Privately owned planes) that always got the
higher octane fuel were as clean as when they were new. They always lasted
longer  too, even tho they were required to be rebuilt after a certain amount
of flight time. We took a few and put them on our Dyno and it passed the
tests like they were just rebuilt! I know alot of it is in how the engines
were used and maintained ect.
One thing for sure, it never hurts to use high octane fuel. BUT, there comes
a point where adding octane doesnt do much more to gain performance.
Besides, the owners manual for VW's say to use premuim fuels anyways.

I use Arco fuel also, only because it is cheaper. I dont really notice a
difference in different fuels. I just filled up and paid $1.37 here in San
Diego.

Shawn

P.S. I was in Seattle last may and love that town!! Rained every day!! I
loved it!