Re: Help please: 85 Scirroco shutdown...(long due to detail

> There may be a combination of causes, three things to check out from
> least to most expensive:
>
> 1) Replace fuel filter.

This is included in the recall work the dealer is doing Thursday, or
else I'd pop one on.

> 2) Have injectors pressure purged, not just the pour-in-the-gastank
>    variety.

I'll see if they can do this when they change the pump and filter
Thursday.  In fact, I'm thinking of seeing how much they'd want to
clean out the entire fuel system (tank and lines).  Just seems like
the thing to do when the new pump is installed.  Any idea on what the
cost (or time) is for this job?  Since I've never been to this
dealer, I want to see if they're trustworthy.

> 3) I've heard over time the actual fuel lines themselves can rust at the
>    points in which they are fastend to the underside of the car. Very
>    expensive for parts and, steering rack must be removed to install.

I'll have VW look at this too.  Thanks for your help !

> The first 2 steps should be done anyways, at least you should notice an
> improvement with cold and hot idle.
>
> Matt
Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
'85 Scirocco 8V