Re: Help please: 85 Scirroco shutdown...(long due to detail

> >3)  I noticed when refueling (twice so far.....only put 350 miles on
> >it so far.....first time when I bought it and it was 1/2 tank when I
> >topped it with Super yesterday after 200 miles....4.53 gallons!!!!
> >but I didn't cram it full)  that there was no sound of a vacuum being
> >released when I popped the fuel cap off.  Is this a vented cap?
>
> I think you may have located the problem.  If you are not
> getting the "pressure" sound as you open the gas cap, the
> pump is probably pulling a vacuum and overheating.  That
> will cause it to stall as you describe and eventually will
> burn out the pump.
>
> If possible, drive it(20 miles or so) before you drop it off
> at the dealer.  Make a point of opening the cap while
> they're listening.
>  gary

Thanks for the advise.  I'm wondering if I also have a faulty gas cap
that's not keeping the pressure.  Funny thing about this whole thing
is that it only does this after about 20-30 minutes and only when I'm
stuck in traffic.  If I manage to make it past the magic 30 minute
barrier without getting in a traffic jam (almost impossible in
Seattle) it never dies.  In the morings I don't hit traffic backups until
I've already driven an hour and it hasn't stalled then.  Oh well,
we'll see what happens after VW replaces my pump and filter Thursday.
Sure would be nice to make it home without the 10-15 minute layover
due to finicky Scirroco :)

Also, let me throw this out to the group.....what's everyone's
preference for gas?  Out here in the Seattle area, Arco is the least
expensive (and also the most convenient for me for  a few reasons)
but my Chevy will run on anything.  I think I owe it to the Scirroco
to give it a better grade in exchange for a more pleasant drive :)

One final thing........what's everyone getting as far as mpg?  The
factory window sticker in the glove box said 24/29.  So far I'm
getting around 37!  This was a huge surprise for me, and a pleasant
one.  And I haven't so much as changed a spark plug yet.  Yeah, this
has to be the best $350 I've ever spent......as long as I get it to
keep running.
Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
'85 Scirocco 8V