Alternator

Hey everyone,

Well, I've now had my first mechanical failure from my recently
purchased 80 Scirocco.  Up until now, nothing has happened that I didn't
expect or already know about.  Well, here's the scenario:  driving down
the road accelerating before getting on the beltway..I hear a screaching
(something I've heard before but haven't gotten around to tightening),
the screaching gets louder, then goes away.  The next thing to happen is
the battery warning light comes on (thank the heavans I only live about
three miles from work).  Anyway, I check the engine compartment, no
alternator belt where there used to be one.  How far can I go without
this and will it screw up the rest of my car, I need to go about three
miles to the closest vw shop?  Also, I noticed some steam coming from
around the radiotor cap, but no real leads, is this related or other
problem to look into?

Thanks for any help,

John
80 Scirocco S