VW Trivia

Need answers to some questions so I can make small talk during cocktail parties:

A.      With the engine off, why is it possible to move the shifter from
gear to gear in my '81 without pushing in the clutch?  I can't do it in
other car makes.

B.      The water cooled VW engines (the early ones at least) make a
distinctive metallic "ringing" sound during acceleration.  Sounds tres
cool.  I've always wondered what produces this characteristic sound.  Is it
the exhaust?  My '81 which allegedly has a 2" cat back Eurosport system
still makes the sound so I'm guessing that the sounds coming from ahead of
the cat.

That's enuff for now, b--------