Gauges Q

Hello, it's '81 again:

        I went to the U-pick-a-part place again for various stuff and ended
up  picking up a VDO voltmeter and a gauge marked in bars out of an A1
Jetta.

        What is the pressure gauge for and what type of sender does it use?

        I didn't have time or the patience to trace the wiring so I don't
know how these two gauges are hooked up.  For the voltmeter, do I want to
measure voltage at the battery or the alternator or somewhere else?  The
sender for the other gauge may still be on the car so I could go look for
it if someone could tell me where to look.

        Yeah, I know it's kinda dumb to pick up a gauge without knowing
what it does but what the hell, I like toys and it's Christmas.

        One final Q, is an ammeter preferable to a voltmeter or is the
information redundant (V=IR and all that although who knows what the R is)?

Thanks all, b----------