VDO vs. Motometer

"there were a variety of speedos.  I saw Motometer (I think) units which
look exactly like my VDO--are they the same?  ".......

I have an 88 GTi 16v, which originally came with the VDO (which, may I add
is a much hight quality meter than the Motometer).  The car got broken into
by some complete<insert excessive epithets here> vandals that broke the
reset button on the Odometer.  Since it was all covered by the insurance, we
let them replace the VDO with a Motometer.  Just recently the speedo stopped
working... as I discovered (with my body contorted and my arm crammed up the
drivers side air vent) the clip from the cable that runs from the tranny to
the speedo was the wrong size.  The <insert more epithets> mechanics at the
VW place we took it to didn't bother to change the cable so it would clip to
the motometer speedo.  Instead you just push the connector in as far as you
can and hope the wiring behind it keeps it in place.

Moral:
The diameter of the clip of the Motometer may -not- be the same size as the
VDO.

And why they ever changed to that stupid clip design from the nice screw-on
one is beyond me.