Re: lot's of rocco's

At 03:44 PM 12/13/96 -0700, you wrote:
>It seems that about every week or so there are 1 or 2 Scirocco's for sale
>in the paper.  Is that what it's like everywhere else?  It's more than
>what I'm used to seeing.  It seems as though car prices here in Colorado
>are lower than they were in Illinois.  Maybe it's 'cause everyone needs a
>utility vehicle to get around in the mountains and those are in higher
>demand or something.  Anyway, I've seen nice 16V's go for around $2400
>and nice 8v's with new exhaust and suspension and paint for $1100.  That
>last one that caught my eye was a 16V in good shape except for a dent on
>the panel behind the door go for $1200.  Is this normal?  Just
>wondering.
>
>	shadrach

Out in my neck of the woods, there is rarely a Scirocco in the newspaper or in the
"Auto Trader". There is uaualy around 2 in each. Used as daily beaters and not
taken care of at all from the descriptions. Then yesterday I pick up an autotrader
and there is about 15 Scirocco's in it from $1200 up to $6000. (The guy that wants
$6000 has got less mods and improvements in his car than I do in mine, hes dreaming
a bit I think.) If you can find one already built, as in suspension done and some
engine mods, your way ahead of the game! If I could find something like what I have
spent 2 years and spent around $6000 for $1200, id buy it! NQA.

One thing you got to remember about buying used cars. Listen to what the seller is
saying to you. Hes only gonna tell you what he thinks you want to hear. I went and
looked at an 86' Cabrio for my GF. in fact, its still in the auto trader, lemme
quote his add:

"Need a sharp Convertible? Bought new car, need to sell, loaded front to back,
custom rims & tires, Neuspeed suspension, great stereo system, too many to toys to
list, must see to appreciate, $3500 OBO."

Ok, so we go and look at it and its dark. (Bad thing to do, if you do this, dont
commit to buying it until you can see it in the daylight even if you like what you
drove. Theres so much you can miss in the dark.) From what I can see, it looks ok
from the outside, its clean, pits on the hood from road debris, nothing suprising.
Stock engine, stock exhaust. it has race springs and Koni shocks. Runs ok. We back
out of the garage and start the test drive. The shifter is beat to hell, its the
worse shifting experience in a VW I have ever experienced. Ok, I said, thats
fixable. Then we get back and I pull it in his garage so I can see it in the light.
The interior is trashed. Guages hanging out if the dash, tape holding stuff
together, seats ripped, carpet shredded, this car is junk. Not EVEN worth $3500.
$1000 maybe, but not anywhere near what he was asking. So we went and bought a used
GLi instead. This was about 3 months ago when we test drove it. Gee, I wonder why
its still in the auto trader? He even upped the price to $4000 for a little while.
heh-heh-heh!! Whadda goof.

What he didnt want me to do was see it under some light, when I insisted, he was
reluctant. I tend to always push when I get resistance from sellers. Theres a
reason they do it.

Class dismissed. :)

Shawn