Re: Distributor Cap Positions

>  Like they say on the radio, "first time caller, long time listener."
>Something like that.
>
>  I have an '82 Scirocco which I drive daily here in rainy Eugene, Oregon.
>Recently, when I had to replace a fuel injection hose in moderately heavy
>rain, I got enough moisture in the distributor area to warrant the instant
>purchase of a new cap.  I put the wires back on as per the pictures in the
>Haynes (general Rabbit/Scirocco) manual, and had immense misfires.  I was
>finally able to get them on the right way (after seven or eight tries), but
>they were in the exact opposite (mirror) positions than in the picture.
>
>  I was wondering: are the distributor cap wire positions - or even the
>firing order - different in Sciroccos than in Jettas, Rabbits, etc?  If so,
>is this indicative of all Sciroccos, just some, or just the II's?
>
>  Thanks!

Nope, they're all the same.  1-3-4-2.  My GTI's #1 plug is at roughly 2
o'clock on the distributor cap, if it were a clock, and it runs clockwise
from there.  When changing caps, I find it better to do each one
individually, rather than yanking all the wires off the dead cap.  That
simply eliminates a mixup.  Pictures are not a good diagnostic tool, IMHO,
when it comes to something like this, especially from the Haynes.  The
firing order is 1342.....cylinder #1 being on the passenger side (timing
belt) of the car, #4 on the transmission side.  Find your #1 plugwire,
follow it to the cap, then move 1 wire clockwise, that should go to
#3.......next one goes to #4.......etc.  Why yours is backwards I don't
know, but is it?  Hmmm, could it run?  Dunno.  Think about the 1342 thing,
it makes sense, and you'll KNOW what you're doing, rather than following
the pictures.....no flame, I was intimidated of the plug thing for years,
as I always messed it up!  It's easy, though, as long as you know where #1
should be on the cap, you're in!

Mannix