Re: Distributor Cap Positions

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, I.Mannix wrote:

> >  Like they say on the radio, "first time caller, long time listener."
> >Something like that.
> >
> >  I have an '82 Scirocco which I drive daily here in rainy Eugene, Oregon.
> >Recently, when I had to replace a fuel injection hose in moderately heavy
> >rain, I got enough moisture in the distributor area to warrant the instant
> >purchase of a new cap.  I put the wires back on as per the pictures in the
> >Haynes (general Rabbit/Scirocco) manual, and had immense misfires.  I was
> >finally able to get them on the right way (after seven or eight tries), but
> >they were in the exact opposite (mirror) positions than in the picture.
> >
> >  I was wondering: are the distributor cap wire positions - or even the
> >firing order - different in Sciroccos than in Jettas, Rabbits, etc?  If so,
> >is this indicative of all Sciroccos, just some, or just the II's?
> >
> >  Thanks!
> >

> Nope, they're all the same.  1-3-4-2.  My GTI's #1 plug is at roughly 2
> o'clock on the distributor cap, if it were a clock, and it runs clockwise
> from there.  When changing caps, I find it better to do each one
> individually, rather than yanking all the wires off the dead cap.  That
> simply eliminates a mixup.  Pictures are not a good diagnostic tool, IMHO,
> when it comes to something like this, especially from the Haynes.  The
> firing order is 1342.....cylinder #1 being on the passenger side (timing
> belt) of the car, #4 on the transmission side.  Find your #1 plugwire,
> follow it to the cap, then move 1 wire clockwise, that should go to
> #3.......next one goes to #4.......etc.  Why yours is backwards I don't
> know, but is it?  Hmmm, could it run?  Dunno.  Think about the 1342 thing,
> it makes sense, and you'll KNOW what you're doing, rather than following
> the pictures.....no flame, I was intimidated of the plug thing for years,
> as I always messed it up!  It's easy, though, as long as you know where #1
> should be on the cap, you're in!
>

> Mannix

 Positioning the ditributer cap and wires by use of a picture, is NOT a
valid means of setting up the timing. You do have to have the order
1-3-4-2, but the cap and wires could be set to any position, depending on
how the rotor is pointing when the engine is at TDC. If it is just a cap
change, follow Mannix's advice and swap one wire at a time. If the
distributor is all out of whack, you will have to reset the rotor. Follow
the manual as how to get the #1 cylinder at TDC. (I like to put the car in
gear and push it back until the mark on the upper and lower are were they
are supposed to be.) Next, look at where the rotor is pointing. It will be
pointing right where the #1 plug wire is supposed to go when the cap is
on. The rest follows 1-3-4-2 around the cap. It doesn't really matter
where the rotor is pointing, but there is a sort of standard position. If
you want to set it up this way, (like in the picture), you will have to
pull out the distributor, turn the rotor to where you want it to point,
and set it back in. All while having the engine at TDC. (You will have to
reset the timing with a timing light if you pull out the distributor)

 Gene.