Distributor Cap Positions

  Like they say on the radio, "first time caller, long time listener."
Something like that.

  I have an '82 Scirocco which I drive daily here in rainy Eugene, Oregon.
Recently, when I had to replace a fuel injection hose in moderately heavy
rain, I got enough moisture in the distributor area to warrant the instant
purchase of a new cap.  I put the wires back on as per the pictures in the
Haynes (general Rabbit/Scirocco) manual, and had immense misfires.  I was
finally able to get them on the right way (after seven or eight tries), but
they were in the exact opposite (mirror) positions than in the picture.

  I was wondering: are the distributor cap wire positions - or even the
firing order - different in Sciroccos than in Jettas, Rabbits, etc?  If so,
is this indicative of all Sciroccos, just some, or just the II's?

  Thanks!

- Kyle Whelliston