Re: Engine trouble in cold wet conditions

At 05:12 AM 12/10/96 -0800, Benton wrote:

>You guys might want to check the electrical system.  Maybe a damp
>distributor (try a shot of WD-40 to get rid of the moisture?) or bad
>connection to the ignition module or even the fuel pump?  My '81 used to
>occasionally start bucking and stalling.  Turned out the wiring harness to
>the ignition module was flaky.  It wasn't a wet weather only problem
>though.  Could the problem also be water in the gas?  How about vacuum
>leaks?  Anyway, how does that saying go, "Opinions are like assholes,
>everyone's got one"?

WD-40 will leave an oil residue. Better yet, try a shot of electrical cleaner instead. It will do a better job me thinks.
I think your definately on the right track here Benton. Ot very well could be a vacume leak, any of the aboved mentioned.

>Bentley manual has a pretty good protocol for checking the cold start valve
>to see if it's leaking when it shouldn't (at least for an 8V).

Thats right, check this ASAP.

>BTW, where has the Shawnster been?  Should someone check his house to make
>sure he still walks among us?

Ive been on lurking mode for a little while. My Server wont let my Eudora program send e-mail so I got the Pegasus mail thingie. It doesnt work *period* so I still have and use the Eudora. In the meanwhile I use the P.O.S
. Netcom mail program to send mail, that I really hate to do.

>While I'm in senseless drivel mode, does anyone have an idea of the
>breakdown of the number of Mk.1 vs Mk. 2 owners here?
>
>Glad to be of no service, benton-------

No, wrong attitude, I think your doing good. You're on the ball with possible solutions. Its up to the guys (and gals) to go out and do some diagnostics and research things a little more after they get a few possible fixe
s from the mailing list. I dont know how many times I wished some of you could just bring the damn car to my house so I could SHOW you what to look at and whats wrong. But, we cant do everything, can we.

Shawn