Re: Engine trouble in cold wet conditions

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Michael Cotsford DTN:"225-4710 MS:HL02-3/D11 Pole:B8" wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I have a 88 Scirocco 16v and it seems to be having a problem
> running in cold wet weather.  This past weekend we had a lot of
> wet snow here (Massachusetts).  When I started the car, it sounded
> fine.  However, after sitting at idle for a while, it started to
> sputter and the rpms went real low.  Stepping on the gas only
> caused the rpms to drop even more.  The car didn't stall, but it
>
> Any help as to what the problem could be would be great.  I have
> one theory (guess) that it could be the thermostatically controlled
> air cleaner which should control where the air intake is coming from.
> If it wasn't working properly I would be getting cold humid air.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
>    Michael Cotsford

I have the exact same, but worse, problem with my '87.  It does the same
thing as yours did, but it doesn't get better, it gets worse.  I had to
stop, because I just couldn't keep the engine going any longer - there was
bucking, hesitation, knocking, you name it.  Turn it off, then restart it,
and I get the same thing.  It took 3 hours for symptoms to disappear, and
only then after I turned it on and revved it to redline a couple times.
After that, no problems, I drove home just like any other day.

Nobody seems to know what's going on here.  I suspect a leaking cold start
valve, because it sounds like the problems are due to fuel problems
(knocking, can't hold any rpm, very low idle).

-Riley McDowall
'87 16V Scirocco