Re: Engine trouble in cold wet conditions

>On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Michael Cotsford DTN:"225-4710 MS:HL02-3/D11 Pole:B8"
>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I have a 88 Scirocco 16v and it seems to be having a problem
>> running in cold wet weather.  This past weekend we had a lot of
>> wet snow here (Massachusetts).  When I started the car, it sounded
>> fine.  However, after sitting at idle for a while, it started to
>> sputter and the rpms went real low.  Stepping on the gas only
>> caused the rpms to drop even more.  The car didn't stall, but it
>>
>> Any help as to what the problem could be would be great.  I have
>> one theory (guess) that it could be the thermostatically controlled
>> air cleaner which should control where the air intake is coming from.
>> If it wasn't working properly I would be getting cold humid air.
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>>    Michael Cotsford
>
>I have the exact same, but worse, problem with my '87.  It does the same
>thing as yours did, but it doesn't get better, it gets worse.  I had to
>stop, because I just couldn't keep the engine going any longer - there was
>bucking, hesitation, knocking, you name it.  Turn it off, then restart it,
>and I get the same thing.  It took 3 hours for symptoms to disappear, and
>only then after I turned it on and revved it to redline a couple times.
>After that, no problems, I drove home just like any other day.
>
>Nobody seems to know what's going on here.  I suspect a leaking cold start
>valve, because it sounds like the problems are due to fuel problems
>(knocking, can't hold any rpm, very low idle).
>
>-Riley McDowall
>'87 16V Scirocco

You guys might want to check the electrical system.  Maybe a damp
distributor (try a shot of WD-40 to get rid of the moisture?) or bad
connection to the ignition module or even the fuel pump?  My '81 used to
occasionally start bucking and stalling.  Turned out the wiring harness to
the ignition module was flaky.  It wasn't a wet weather only problem
though.  Could the problem also be water in the gas?  How about vacuum
leaks?  Anyway, how does that saying go, "Opinions are like assholes,
everyone's got one"?

Bentley manual has a pretty good protocol for checking the cold start valve
to see if it's leaking when it shouldn't (at least for an 8V).

BTW, where has the Shawnster been?  Should someone check his house to make
sure he still walks among us?

While I'm in senseless drivel mode, does anyone have an idea of the
breakdown of the number of Mk.1 vs Mk. 2 owners here?

Glad to be of no service, benton-------