Engine trouble in cold wet conditions

Hi,

   I have a 88 Scirocco 16v and it seems to be having a problem
running in cold wet weather.  This past weekend we had a lot of
wet snow here (Massachusetts).  When I started the car, it sounded
fine.  However, after sitting at idle for a while, it started to
sputter and the rpms went real low.  Stepping on the gas only
caused the rpms to drop even more.  The car didn't stall, but it
just doesn't accelerate and continues to sputter along.  When I
got to a hill, it slowly climbed and then seemed to clear up.
After going up the hill a short distance the engine was running
pretty smoothly.

This happened several times this past weekend, but it started
and ran fine today.  I'm pretty sure the problem will come back
when the weather gets bad again.

Any help as to what the problem could be would be great.  I have
one theory (guess) that it could be the thermostatically controlled
air cleaner which should control where the air intake is coming from.
If it wasn't working properly I would be getting cold humid air.

Thanks for any help,

   Michael Cotsford
   cotsford@ricks.enet.dec.com