Re: More electrical Q's + brakes

> To:            scirocco-l@privateI.com
> From:          byoshida@zygote.hsc.usc.edu (Benton Yoshida)
> Subject:       More electrical Q's + brakes

>        Since one of my parking brake cables was broken, I tried
>        replacing
>the cable and what looked like an easy job in the Bentley manual
>turned into the automotive equivalent of that scene in "Spock's Brain"
>from the original Star Trek where McCoy is standing over Spock's open
>cranial vault going, "I can't remember!"

Hehe.  Sounds familiar to me.

>        After removing the drum, I couldn't just "unhook the cable
>        from the
>lever" *HAHA*

Actually you can, with alot of patience.  But I went your way my
first time too :)

> so I decided to remove the brake shoes.  The Bentley
>Manual sez, "Disengage the shoes from the support (Fig. 8-5), then
>remove the lower return spring."  *HEE HEE, SNORT*

That's when 5 springs decided to go thier seperate way.

>I had a f*ck of a
>time doing this and ended up first unhooking the top of the shoes from
>the cylinder.  Then when I tried to put the top of the shoe back on
>the cylinder pistons, it slipped, tearing one of the piston boots
>*BWAAHAHA*.

Did the same.  execept I figured it was leaking a week after I
installed the shoes in.  No brakes! (no fluid =  no brakes)  AARRGH.
I later learned that if there was liquid under the boot, it's usually
a bad sign and time for a new brake cylinder.

>  As I watched brake fluid oozing out while fighting back
>tears I gave the Bentley manual a swift kick.  Good thing I don't make
>a living as a mechanic.

It's easier after you installed the shoes about 60 times.  Actually I
had a fun time testing it.  After I completly installed the shoes
into place (with the lower return spring (argh))  I tested the brakes
by pressing the pedal as hard as I could  (but without the drum in
place.)  This disengaged the brakes in a very rude manner (again,
spring flying everywhere).  I repeted this procedure 5 (five) times
until I figured that the drum had to be in place!!

>        Since I probably have to replace the other one in the near
 >       future
>is there an easy way to replace the parking brake cable without
>removing the shoes?  And since brake shoe replacement will eventually
>raise it's accursed head, what's the most painless way of doing this?

Yes. just clip it in.  Works better with small pliers.

>Besides taking it to a shop, I mean.
 >       When I put in the new cylinder I didn't lube the pistons with
 >       VW
>brake cylinder paste as per Bentley.  Is this a major boo-boo?

Oops.  Didn't either.

>Thanks in advance for any help.  I realize I'm a mechanical dimwit so
>please give me directions that any newbie can follow.

Been there.  After installing the brakes myself at that time, I
figured I should have them checked by a local mecanic.  He claimed
that my brakes where put on backwards.  It braked even better
backwards... Really!!

bowed and cowed, b--------

YbOeSnHtIoDnA