Got a brake problem...

Hello,
I have a most frustrating brake problem.

You see, I have a low pedal on my 82. But the braking action is not too bad.
 I replaced the master cylinder.  No Change.

So I took apart the rear brakes.  Found the right wheel cylinder was leaking
a little bit, so I replaced the wheel cylinders on both sides.  Turned the
drums and replaced the shoes, too.    No Change.

So I took apart the front brakes.  Turned the rotors and got new pads.  No
Change.

So I got a couple of calipers off an 88 Golf and mounted them.  No Change.
Still have a low pedal.

Goes 3/4 of distance to floor before any resistance.  But the braking action
is not too bad.  The booster seems to be working - brake pedal drops a little
bit when the engine is started.  Oh, I even got a new check valve recently.

The only other component of the brake system is the proportioning valve.
 Bently does not list any symtoms for a bad proportioning valve.

Can someone help?  I'm starting to feel really dumb.
-M