Re: chirping in 2nd...

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, VanAm wrote:
> Originally, Sciroccos come with 185/60R14 which have an overall
> diameter (height, whatever) of 577.6 mm.  Your 205/45R16 have a
> diameter of 590.9mm.  Maybe that 13mm (half inch) is making it
> rub.  I think if you had 205/40R16, with a height of 570.4mm, you
> wouldn't have that rubbing problem.  Just a thought...

I don't doubt you're right, but I wanted to avoid using those horrid Euro
T/As.  We get a lot of rain up here in Vancouver and the tread pattern of
the FZ4s does a much better job of dispersing water than the BFG's.  I
think Toyo might make a 205/40 Proxes T1...I know they make a 215/40.

I noticed the increased diameter this summer on a long road trip - I was
driving with my friend in his Scirocco and his speedo consistently read a
few clicks more than mine (at 200+kph mine read more than 5kph slower).