My car isn't going fully into gear

-- [ From: Josh Clark * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

I have now been driving my '83 'Rocco for about 3 days and I noticed that if
I try to pull away fast from a stop 2nd gear and 3rd gear don't engage fully
.  When I press the throttle the rpms just go up VERY fast and I accelerate
very little.  I think the clutch cable is getting stuck on something 'cuz
when I pull it up the few milimeters it goes it sometimes gets snagged on
something.  Does it just need adjusting?  Is this a sign of a bad clutch?
I'm not too familiar with this situation so any advice would be greatly
appreciated.   Thanks,
Josh Clark