Re: Scirocco II Dash Removal

Miles Lott wrote:

> I am contemplating replacing my hideous red dash with a
> black one from a later model.  Has anyone done this?  I
> figure it is going to be a bitch, but if you have some
> pointers on the swap, please let me know, ie do I need
> to remove any more than the speedo, center console,
> and light switches.

if you just want to change the colour,  this is cheap and easy:

vinyl spray paint.  yes, it sound like a hidious and amaturist way to go
but I tried it on my first scirocco because a coudlnt' stand the brown
and had to have black.  It worked GREAT! I couldn't believe the paint
stuck so well and looked factory. Of course the best is to remove the
dash to paint but then you might as well just replace it... but I just
masked off EVERYTHING i didn't want to paint (windshield was a pain) but
it only took around an hour(including drying time)  if your any good
with a spray can should turn out great. I had done my entire interior
and only ran into two problems.  first, the carpet would not take the
paint at all. and two, after about six months the left side boulster on
the driver side started comming off.  dash and doors never had a
problem.

if I were to do it again, I would paint my dash but replace my wifes.  I
can live with the knowlage I cheated......