RE: Scirocco II Dash Removal

I am contemplating replacing my hideous red dash with a
black one from a later model.  Has anyone done this?  I
figure it is going to be a bitch, but if you have some
pointers on the swap, please let me know, ie do I need
to remove any more than the speedo, center console,
and light switches.

Miles,

I took mine out of my 82 Scirocco and it's really not that hard.  If I
remember correctly, remove all the bolts on the side a couple inside by the
center vents and pull.  Unlike the Golf II there are no bolts from the dash
to the fire wall.   Remove all this, disconnect the console and tug on it
gently to release the clips that connect to the fire wall.  As long as you
keep track of everything and are real methodical about it, you can do it
easy.  Maybe a full day or half day project!

Rodney Noriel