speaking of dashes

I have a little problem maybe someone has experience with.

The light that illuminates the heater controls has burnt out in my
'85.  I pulled it out and it's a strange bulb that has a plastic base
and a skinny little bulb that's soldered onto the tabs that stick
through the plastic base.  The 2 wires plug into the tabs.

I went to the dealer after striking out at the local parts store.
They spent about 1/2 hour trying to find a listing for it to no
avail.  They checked to see if it was included with the heater
control faceplate (it wasn't).  I find it odd that VW doesn't even
have a replacement listed and that this bulb is not used anywhere
else.  I remember reading either here or usenet something about an
ashtray light that was odd and hard to find.  Is this one and the
same?

The dealer had a bulb that looked similar so I bought it and hope to
find a way to remove the tabs from the base and solder in the new
bulb.  Anyone ever run into this before?

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
'85 Scirocco 8V