Re: Stalling update (or, I feel soooo stupid!!)

> I haven't tried this... What are they symptoms of a car needing this? Mine
> runs great, idles great, has plenty of power... It just dies after you
> accelerate hard and dump the clutch and close throttle fast after idling a lot
> in hot weather.. Starts right back up but it's kind of embarassing...
> (Especially when someone driving a GM sees this happen ;)

Since this is my first FI car, I'm not a lot of help on this.....what
I've read here is that it will improve hot and cold idling and also
would make sense that it should overall be more responsive.  Another
thing I've been told is that it would be wise to have the internal FI
o-rings replaced with new ones if it wasn't done over the last few
years (having just bought my car, I don't know....therefore I figure
to do it).  There are rings with a small hole in them to better
atomize the fuel.  While this may not solve your problem, it seems
like good PM.  And from what I gather, it should cost less than $100.
All I need to do is find somewhere in my area that has the equipment
to do it.

> the fan is the first thing to look at because blockages and poor coolant
> flow will cause the car to overheat all the time, esp at high speed..

Mine only overheats at idle (or reduced speed, as in traffic stop &
go).  I also wondered about the water pump impeller (read in the FAQ)
problems that sometimes occur on these.  Seems the sensor would be
the cheapest and easiest to try.

> I believe my sister (owner since new) got it replaced when it was newer...
> How would one go about checking if something was replaced? I certainly
> can't tell by looking at the thing, it's covered with enough corrosion it
> could be O.E.
> John K. Gates

Simply call the dealer with your VIN handy.  They took the info and
called me back to let me know I was entitled to the new pump and
filter.  This action also updates the VW database to show you as the
current owner in case of future recalls (unlikely for cars of our
age).  Of course, if your sister was original owner, she should have
forwarded any letters from VW to you.  Still, it's worth a phone
call.

Sorry I'm not more help, once I get my Bentley manual and a few
weekends with my "rocket", I'll know more... hopefully the brain cells
are still able to absorb :)

Also, I posted this to usenet (if I already asked here, forgive me):
The local VW dealer says he can order me a Bentley manual for
$49.95.   Is this a good price, or is there somewhere better to go?

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
'85 Scirocco 8V