Re: Stalling update (or, I feel soooo stupid!!)

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Lisa & Rick wrote:

> Actually, my problem is with stalling after idling awhile regardless
> of acceleration or deceleration.  Of course, my problem is due to it
> getting hot.  Have you tried getting the injectors pressure purged as
> some here have suggested?  I still have a bit of rough idle and plan
> to do this as soon as I find a place with the equipment and
> know-how.

I haven't tried this... What are they symptoms of a car needing this? Mine
runs great, idles great, has plenty of power... It just dies after you
accelerate hard and dump the clutch and close throttle fast after idling a lot
in hot weather.. Starts right back up but it's kind of embarassing...
(Especially when someone driving a GM sees this happen ;)

> Does anyone have recommendations as to which flush works best for
> them?  I was thinking that I will flush and replace the coolant and

This one I'm not sure of; flushing didn't solve my problem because I would
later find out the radiator was beyond salvage... My sister had used that
prestone crap in it and let it sit...

> thermostat.  What temperature thermostat is recommended?  I also

When I was having this problem I tried a 160 degree one and it didn't make
any difference.. I've found that the regular Volkswagen thermostat that's
rated for 192 or 195 (they only sell one temperature for this car) works
perfectly well and keeps my temperature rock solid in the middle of the gauge.

> wonder if the sensor for the radiator fan is working correctly.  The
> fan seldom comes on, at least when I'm stopped....can't hear it when
> I'm driving....the little bugger makes a bit too much noise :)  I was

This may very well be the problem. Do you see your gauge go above middle
when you're going along at highway speed? If it's just when you're sitting
the fan is the first thing to look at because blockages and poor coolant
flow will cause the car to overheat all the time, esp at high speed..

> thinking that maybe the sensor has deposits on it and I could pull it
> out and try to clean it.  The coolant looks fairly clean, but I don't

Unlikely; they're encased in brass, as I recall (anyone correct me if I'm
wrong) and unless the deposits are extremely bad it shouldn't make too
much of a difference?!?!?!

> know when the previous owner(s) last flushed (if ever).

If the coolant is changed frequently (once a year) and replaced with the
real Volkswagen stuff (the blue stuff, and yes, I personally think it really
does make a difference with corrosion, my sister found out the hard way)

> the fuel pump.  BTW John, have you checked if your pump and filter
>  was ever replaced under the recall yet?  A freebee is a freebee and
> at least I that's one thing I shouldn't have to worry about

I believe my sister (owner since new) got it replaced when it was newer...
How would one go about checking if something was replaced? I certainly
can't tell by looking at the thing, it's covered with enough corrosion it
could be O.E.

John K. Gates
UNIX Systems Administrator
mail: john@fang.cs.sunyit.edu