1980S Mars Red in TX

--- Jonathan Remington <jonbo00@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Some of you are probably in the same situation as me.
> You own a roughly 3 decade old car are trying to figure
> out why you sunk $10K into a $1K car.

Not really.  I stopped trying to figure that out a long
time ago.

> Trim:  The vertical thin metal pieces where the door and
> window meets up.  They appear to be very thin metal and
> are painted black on the S's.  If I could find those, I
> could get pretty darn close to having the car look brand
> new.

I'm fairly sure I've got a set of those laying around
somewhere.  Send me a message off-list to remind me first
of the week, I've got company rolling into town this
evening.

> Motor swaps:  I'm looking for some feedback to see what
> mods/trouble people have had with running a 1.8 with all
> the 1.6 stock bolt ons (ie, stock 1.6 intake, air box,
> everything).  I put a brand new 1.8 (15 miles on it) in
> for the ailing 1.6 around 1993.  It now has around 11K
> miles on it (I forget it is in the garage sometimes).
> The only mods relating to the motor are a Techtonics
> exhaust and little timing change.

I think the 1.8 is a really nice engine for these cars.
You can do some things to improve performance even more
(larger diameter airflow plate, cam, timing, exhaust - some
of which I see you've already done), but the intake /
airbox etc is the same as on the 1.8 cars AFAIK.  The next
logical step would be a 2.0 8v.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S (Deiter)       '85 Scirocco 8v (Shadow)
'86 Scirocco 8v               '88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!)
'88 Scirocco 16v              '56 Cessna 172

http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html