Diesel trade for a Scirocco?

On 9/23/07, Don Walter <dswalterwi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Give me more!  I have thought of doing that.  Is there any write ups on the
> engines you are talking about?

Don, check out the TDI forums at <www.tdiclub.com>.  There are some
good threads in the 'TDI Conversions' forum on swapping TDI's into A1
chassis VW's.  Another good source of information is the GTD forums
at:  <http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/>.

Basically, any of the earlier 1A/AHU engines are the easiest to swap,
since the passenger side mount bolt holes are still cast into those
blocks.  A simple trimming of the timing belt cover is all that's
required to retrofit the A1 mount to the block.  If you want to run
the later (ALH or sometimes BEW) engines, a custom passenger side
mount needs to be sourced or fabricated.  My guess is that Dan Bubb's
1.8T p-side mount will work, since the later TDI block seems to have
similar casting details.

Some guys run the stock gasser fuel pump setup, but fit a fuel
pressure regulator (set at 5-10 psi) - turning it into a 'lift pump'.
I believe Ben Harder runs this setup on his TDI Corrado.  Other than
that you have to decide whether or not to run the electronics.  The
simplest swap is the one I'm doing - a mechanical injection pump
setup.  Before the ECU was able to be hacked, you had to swap in the
cluster and ignition setup to appease the immobilizer system.  While
the immobilizer is a good thing for security, it made a simple engine
swap much more complicated and time consuming.  With the immobilizer
hack, a full electronic swap isn't very difficult, but you have to
make sure you have the necessary harness and computer pieces.

If you're thinking of doing a mechanical setup, contact Giles at
<gallie@xxxxxxxxxx> for a custom built mechanical injection pump.  He
basically makes one from a TDI and TD pump, using the TDI portion to
distribute the fuel (at the higher TDI pressures), with the TD pump
guts facilitating boost enrichment.  While pricey (since two pumps are
required) the money saved by not having to buy the harness and
computer bits will offset the cost somewhat.

I'll be doing a full electronic swap for my next TDI conversion to
give each a try...

These are just the VE pump examples.  The latest PD TDI engines are a
completely different beast.  These engines are still relatively new
and priced VERY high, so they aren't the most economical swap, but if
you're looking to make the most power possible out of a TDI, then the
PD is the way to go.  Tuners and backyard hackers alike are starting
to get some serious power out of these things, and this is only the
beginning...

Later,

Mark.
75
82
82 Caddy - mTDI swap in progress
91 Jetta Coupe

"Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people,
Controls people, Deludes
 people."

-Carlespie Mary Alice McKinney