Two things to do right now.

Several of us in Maryland had another tech day last weekend to replace Roger's transmission.
This simply reinforced what I've run across before.
If you haven't already done these two items, do them as soon as possible.

1. Drain and refill your tranny if you haven't done it recently or since you bought the car. Get the crap out of it and know how much gear lube is in it.
There were a lot of tranny failures this year, mostly 5th gear failures, and getting new gear lube and the right quantity in there will go a long way to prevent that.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3433805

2. Replace the seal between the oil cooler and the filter mounting bracket! Most old seals will just leak. This seal gets hard and will leak oil all over the front of your engine, but it can also crack and drain your oil out on the road in a couple minutes leaving you stranded.

Another related thought is that a tranny I took apart recently had the sludgiest parts I've ever seen. It was also extremely dirty on the outside. I assume that the dirt on the outside caused the tranny to run hot and cause the sludge. I know it's a total pain in the ass for some of you, but you might want to consider pressure washing your engine compartment and in particular the transmission.

HTH
Dan