From: "Brendan Doyle" <lord_verminaard@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: Fuse panel connections - and now taillight fun

Thanx Chuck and Dan.  I see the G1 H6 stuff now, I'm actually using
Kirsten's Current flow diagram
(http://www.funksoulkitty.org/technicaldata/technicaldata.htm) for a '79,
which seems (so far!) to be on target with my '81.  But some of the wiring
has been .... creative.  I have also been trying to figure out what is wrong
with the taillights, and the wiring back there was an abomination. There was
even phone cable!!!!! spliced in back there and I have no idea why.  Also
lots of fiberglass insulation (household stuff) stuffed in every nook and
cranny.  I hate that crap.

So far on the taillights- bulbs replaced.  Brake and turn signals work.  No
taillights though.  When I turn on the switch, I get -12v through the fuse
location- is that right?

Also a CIS fun update.  The CIS-basic unit that I bought had a stuck plunger
in it.  And in the process of trying to get it out, I shattered the end of
the metering barrel with too much force on the vicegrips.  :P  On a side
note, the plunger is a very hard metal and after I had given up on being
gentle, I had vicegrips torqued down hard enough to flatten the teeth on
them and it did not even scratch the plunger. !!  I had to remove the 8 torx
bolts and separate the CIS unit to pull out the barrel.  If you've never
seen the inside of a CIS unit, it's pretty neat.  The machining tolerances
are amazing and surprisingly enough it was very clean inside.  The metering
barrel looks like some sort of spaceship part.  :P  So what to do.  I pulled
apart my existing CIS-E unit to see if the barrels are similar.  While CIS-E
functions in a similar way to CIS, and they look the same on the outside,
(other than being aluminum) they are built VERY differently on the
 inside.  Little springs, caps, plates, a gasket, and stuff everywhere once
you pop them apart.  But the metering barrel is almost identical.  Since
CIS-E does not use a CPR, the top of the barrel had a pressed-in cap, a
quick tap on a bolt with a hammer and it popped off.  The plunger from the
old CIS fit the new barrel quite nicely and in a few minutes, I had a CIS-E
barrel installed in a CIS-basic head with the CIS-basic plunger.  I have
installed the head on the cleaned-up CIS-basic metering plate, which is the
same diameter as the CIS-E version but has 3 angles cut in the tapered bit,
where the CIS-E had a much narrower single angle.  I have not put fuel
pressure to it yet but it will be interesting to see what happens.  It has
been a fun experiment so far though.  :)

Thanks again for the wiring info.

Brendan