lost speedo gear

Last time I drove the car I noticed that the speedometer wasn't
working. Since some buddies and I had just been working on it, I
figured the speedo cable just wasn't fully seated in the transmission.
I was right. The problem came when I started trying to get it fully
seated. I pulled it out and pushed it back in a couple times until I
noticed the gear was no longer on the end of it. Sticking my finger
into the transmission confirmed that it had come off inside the
transmission. It also confirmed that my fingers were not quite long
enough to fish it out, but were plenty long enough to jostle it around
a bit and get it further lost to the point where I can't find it when
I feel around any more. Great. Any bright ideas on how to get it out
short of removing and dismantling the transmission? I'm gonna get one
of those handy little tool grabby things and try that but can't really
think of any other way if that fails.