Anyone had a steering wheel professionally recovered?

I asked about recovering a steering wheel at the upholstry shop that's done
the leather seats in my Scirocco and the recaros in my Jetta.
They felt it was cheaper to buy a new steering wheel than to have it
recovered; they couldn't justify a the price for the work of molding flat
leather to sugh a tightly radiused object like a steering wheel.

That being said, Griots garage offers what look to be fairly decent steering
wheel covers.  Yeah, in the catalog everything looks nice, but these look
much better than the el-crap-o ones from Pep Boys.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77834
(please ignore the honda wheel)
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77901
(same picture different product)

I've had good luck with stuff from there, even though my spending power
isn't who they're really marketing to.

As for the shift knob, I took one that was in really sorry shape to a
luggage & shoe repair guy.  It was an old Neuspeed shiftknob some guy found
in a junkyard.  I bought it for $10, and have seen ones in good shape sell
used on the vortex for $75+
It had a sort-of baseball seam that ran up one side, acros the top and down
the other side and that seam had come unstitched.  The leather was too old
and dry to re-stitch, but the repair guy cut a thin strip of leather and
glued it over the seam to keep everything in place.  It looks ten times
better now than it did before...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v613/g-rocco/Jetta/?action=view&current=OctoberMisc2007010.jpg
You can kind of see the 'band-aid' on the top left of the shift knob in this
pic.

I don't know if that's the same kind of repair your wifes shift knob needs,
but I'll throw that out to the list for anyone who has a shiftknob in need
of work.

Of course, sometimes it's just easier to replace - espcially if it's not too
expensive.  Is this for the Neon you had at cincy 2006?  The Momo anatomic
(tall) shiftknob might look pretty good in there.
http://www.amazon.com/Momo-ALBK1-Anatomic-Shift-Knobs/dp/B000KEEMUA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1195227666&sr=1-5

Shop around, it's not hard to find them for cheaper.

Sheesh, have I written enough?
HTH
GP