Gas leak!!

> Why would I be having a problem with my gas tank?  Oh by the way it
> is a  1988 16v, > Javan
<snipped>

LOL. That's why, it's an 88 16V!!! Your car is likely under the VIN range
for the tank recall, and just because the tank has been replaced doesn't
mean the replacement hasn't failed as well! Someone can likely tell you
where to check for the VINs covered, but the dealer will likely give you a
really good song and dance if you go in to ask them to replace it on the
company's tab. But they should replace it on VW's tab if that's where the
leak is. It'd be pretty typical for gas to be dripping onto the rear axle
beam from above if it's a tank seam failure. BUT...there are LOTS of other
possible leakages to look for, and I'll describe the ones my 16V's had so
far:
Well,first, the tank itself, the dealer can do a smoke test to see if
that's it.
-The filler neck, they rust and get pinholes in them, which leak.
-The rubber hose from the filler neck to the tank, often cheapie POs
replace it with rad hose which is good for about as long as the "as-is"
warrantee is...(gas eats rad hoses quite well).
-The O ring at the top of the inspection hole which is under the bottom of
the rear bench seat. This one only leaks if you overfill and isn's usually
a problem unless the inspection hole has been opened up and resealed with
the O ring out of place, this is on the tank itself, not the little hatch
you unscrew to get to it.
-The two rubber gas lines into the inspection hole fittings (to the
transfer pump) also under the seat, more likely a smell problem than a drip.
-Lots of others not so near the tank itself.
Yeah, mine, in true form, had about five of these all at once, so Id
replace what I thought was the problem, and it'd still leak / smell. GL
with it, and if it's a tank recall issue, give 'em hell!
Cathy