OT: Crap proofing my computer

Yeah, so I've never actually owned a new computer that I have total control
of. I have a password, and have created restoration discs, what other
measures should I be taking before exposing this new machine to the threats
of the big world out there? It came with a trial version of Norton, what
else should I be looking at in the way of malware protection? Any general
setup tips would be appreciated too. I'd like to keep its operation as
streamlined as possible. It's a Vista machine, so far it looks very easy to
use.
cathy