My 16V doesn't like to accelerate...

vacuum, timing, distributor?

-----Original Message-----
From: John C. Worden [mailto:johncworden@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:18 PM
To: scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: My 16V doesn't like to accelerate...

This has been an ongoing problem that I have been working on
in between work and prepping to build a new garage and house.
Bentley mentions hesitation under load and hesitation under
acceleration.  After putting in the new O2 sensor I realized the
difference between the two as now I have hesitation under acceleration
where as it appears I had both before.

The car idles well.  When I step on the gas while driving it is like it has
stutter (for lack a better word)that gets better the higher the RPM.  On the
last drive, above 3K it smoothed out, and then a little of 4 stuttered some
more.  This also isn't consistent.  I can accelerate and it will stutter
and then
come out of it and then go right back.
I have done the following:
Topped off the tank(higher octane of course)
new air filter(old one was very nasty)
checked the cold start injector and all is good
air flow plate rest position-good
transfer pump-good

Now I haven't checked the main pump, but now have a pressure tester for
it(just got it)
only checked #1 injector's spray pattern-good.  The others didn't want to
come out
and I will have to remove the upper half of the intake manifold to get at
them, which means
ordering gasket, new o-rings etc-don't want to do that unless that is a
realistic cause.
I also haven't checked the plunger in the fuel distributor.
I am wondering if it were a fuel pump on the way out, a bad injector or
plunger wouldn't it
be consistent or could it cause my symptoms?
Any other thoughts on what to check?

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

''98 Dakota 4x4-
'88 Scirocco 16V-
'86 Scirocco 8V-Now a 16V!
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic, 4 speed.- In the Rotisserie and under
restoration
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.