Importing a car from the USA to Canada Q

On 5/10/07, marc_scirocco@xxxxxxxxxxxx <marc_scirocco@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have found a web site about this, but the web site being from the gov, the info is not all that clear to me.
>
> Any brave soul to give me some hint please?
>
> Found something which might be nice for me to import. ;-)

Marc,

I've done this more times than I can remember, so if you have any
particular questions let me know.  Here's a basic rundown of what you
have to do:

U.S. customs requires a fax of the vehicle title (actually a fax of a
photocopied title - if you try and fax the title itself it sometimes
ends up all black at the receiving end).  You must fax it to the
border crossing 72 hours before arriving with the vehicle.  They want
to make sure it's not a stolen vehicle, or have any liens against it.
If you don't do this may tell you to find somewhere to park it for
three days while they do the background check (they will NOT let you
leave it in the parking lot).

The Canadian side doesn't need to know you're coming.

Call the U.S. border crossing you'll be using and ask them for the fax
number for exporting vehicles, as well as who to "Attn:" the fax to.
Also ask them what hours/days you can export a vehicle (not all of
them have export officers on staff 24/7 - like the Queenston/Lewiston
crossing). Here's a link:

<http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/ports/>

Most titles are smaller than a page, so I also write my name, contact
info, and VIN number in large letters on the photocopy.  It's not a
bad idea to give them a call 20 minutes after faxing it to make sure
they got it ok.

When you arrive at the U.S. border on your way back to Canada you have
to stop and go into the U.S. customs office to clear your title.  They
might want you to provide a receipt, and sometimes they come out to
verify the VIN.  If everything's ok they stamp the U.S. title with an
embossed stamp.  Most of the border crossings I have used aren't
really set up for people to stop on their way OUT of the U.S.  At the
Sarnia/Port Huron crossing (my favorite to export a vehicle) I stop on
the side of the highway and cross a parking lot to get to the customs
office.  I once asked what the "proper" procedure was and was told
that I would pay the toll (extra for every axle on the ground - a
bummer with a dolly), to cross the bridge, go through Canadian
customs, turn around cross the bridge back, go through U.S. customs,
park, get the title stamped, and then head back over the bridge yet
again, pay the fucking toll AGAIN, and go through Canadian customs for
the second time.  Screw that...

After getting the title stamped, and you get to the Canadian side,
tell the border official you're importing a car - they'll ask how much
you paid and how long you were in the U.S.  If you were there for more
than 24 hours you're allowed $200 duty free, 7 days and it's $750
iirc.  I think the limits have actually been increased, so those
numbers are probably low.   You'll be asked to pull over at the
customs office where you will give them the title, receipt, the little
yellow paper the border official gave you, and the build date of the
car (month/year - labeled on the door jamb sticker).  You will fill
out a form, they'll stamp it a million times, you pay GST and any
duties.  If the car is older than 15 years you won't have to pay the
$185 "database registry fee".  If they ask you if the car has air
conditioning, say "no".  That'll save you $100 on some bullshit
government tax, unless they check (play stupid if they notice - I've
never had an issue) ...

You'll leave the Canadian customs office with a lighter wallet, and a
form to bring to your local vehicle licensing office where you'll have
to pay PST, and $10 for a Canadian title (which they'll print out on
the spot).  You're done.  You now have an imported vehicle with a
valid Canadian title...

HTH,

Mark.
75