Electrical problem

It can.
1) try a wire from the battery pos to the exciter. If it charges, then good. the blue wire CAN break in line and cause the other fault you see when you ground the wire and no light.
2)Try a new wire from the alt to the back of the dash and reconnect to the blue wire.
All I can think of at the momrent