Callaway on the Operating table.

I wish that I had a camera with me today.

The whole lower end is more or less disassembled.  The crank looks like it
is repairable which is a good thing.  The head and turbo have been removed.
I saw the bottom of the head and the mechanic tells me that there is
extensive head work done to this.  I really can't speak intelligently about
it so I won't try to go into details.  He said it had larger valves than he
expected and something about the head and the way it was dished in the valve
area.  I heard "blah blah blah... expensive".  One of the valves on each
cylinder was considerably larger than the other.  I don't know if that's
normal or not...  Oh yea and it has some sort of upgraded cam in it.  The
turbo is so foooked it isn't funny.  He had to fiddle with it to even get it
to spin and there is alot of play on the shaft.  I wiggled the hell out of
it.

I told him on Comrade Bubb's advice not to go with the superwhammiedyne oil
pump.  He said 26mil was stock for a 1.6, but maybe I would benefit from a
30mil?  I told him I would consult the Jedi Council and get back with him.
He looked at me like I lit up a crack pipe.

It was pretty funny though when I first pulled up there was this sloppy
looking dude that came right over to my car and was like OH WOW it's an
R24!!!  Then he goes Oh my bad it's a Golf.  I told him he was sort of right
on both counts, but thanks for noticing.  I was kind of in a hurry to pay
for some of the labor and get to see Spiderman.  He goes over and slaps the
hood of this poor car that looked like it had rally'ed in Bagdad.  And
dude's still talking.  I am walking away at this point and dudes talking to
my back.  "In case you are wondering..." I am trying to be polite but I am
in an awful hurry "this is a Quantum Wagon Synchro... It's the predecessor
to the 4-motion Passat.  There aren't that many in the States."  I go over
and take look again to be polite and there's shit growing ON the car.  The
back of the wagon had shit all over.  I have seen cars in the junkyard that
looked less jacked up.  He needed Mtv to pimp that ride or something.

So I am like um...  Nice car.  (Ok I was polite, gotta go I am thinking)  I
tell him it was nice talking to him good luck with the
exorcism/restoration... and I turn around again.  I get in the door and look
back and dudes STILL talking.  I am INSIDE.  He's looking at me there's eye
contact through the glass and he's still talking.  WTF?  So I pay the
mechanic go back and look at my poor car in pieces and come out like 10
minutes later and he's still in the parking lot.  Dude was straight up
slingblade.  I really had to go but he wanted to know if I knew that Synchro
meant four wheel drive...  It was painful.

--
80 Scirocco Callaway Indiana Red
87 Scirocco 16v Tornado Red