From: Nate Mellom <doubt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Koabi Brooks <koabi.brooks@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Scirocco List <scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 7:48:08 PM
Subject: Re: OT: towing vs not towing - efficiency

A good friend of mine took a Dodge Ram and a very large flatbed deck
trailer (meant for hauling large farm equipment) from Wisconsin to
California to pick up a Citroen DS he bought on eBay.  The truck
averaged 12 mpg unloaded, 8 mpg with the trailer, and 5 mpg with the
trailer and DS.  The car wasn't running, so it had to be towed.  He
probably would have gotten better results with a dolly (the trailer is
VERY heavy), but he couldn't dolly it.

You could always do the calculations.  I'd guess depending on the tow
vehicle, you'd be better off towing, unless both cars would average more
mpg than the tow vehicle and load.

Nate