OT: Passat fuel gauge

My 87 does weird things like that.  I reads above full when filled and
quickly drops to a little less than 3/4 tank like say 30ish miles or
so, then seems to be that 1/4 tank off the rest of the way.

If I am in the upper portion of the red I have at least a quarter tank.

Unlike your problem... I am the only driver and it doesn't make a
problem for me.  I also use the trip odometer to back up the guage
readings.

Not much help but a similar issue.

Chris