From: Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com>
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:31:30 PM
Subject: Master Cylinder - WTF?

As some of you may know, I just installed a new master
cylinder on Deiter, the '81 S.  It seems as though the old
one was leaking fluid into the brake booster.  And yes, I
replaced the brake booster with an unknown quantity used
booster.  (Can't seem to get a new one now.)

First attempt at bleeding the brakes resulted in the
semi-expected snapped bleeder screws in the rear, so I
replaced both wheel cylinders this evening.

Filled the brake fluid reservoir and started at the right
rear wheel to work the air out of the system.  I don't have
a pressure bleeder, so I'm stuck with the old "someone pump
the pedal while I turn the bleeder screw" routine.  After
working my way around the car, I still have a brake pedal
that shows no real resistance to going to the floor, AND it
seems to have a "catch" in it about 2/3 of the way down.
(Which was present when I started.)

So now what?  Have I done something wrong here?

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S (Deiter)       '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!)  '88 Scirocco 16v
'96 Passat GLX Wagon          '56 Cessna 172