Testing while fuel system down

Uh... you're testing what? Starter crank speed, compression, spark and/or
fuel delivery?

Troubleshooting is a logical process; isolate a suspect compent and test to
see if it's working properly or not.
    If you "test the car's starting while the fuel system is down" the
expected (and correct) outcome is: it won't start (no fuel...).
    So you must be trying to evaluate some other system; please specify? Not
trying to be rude; but maybe I've miissed some earlier post.

Karl