Looking for a cheap Mk2 for a friend...

I've *finally* managed to convince a friend of mine that owning a
Scirocco would be a good idea for him.  Considering his present car is
an 84 Buick Park Avenue, and he's owned nothing but American "boats"
it was quite a feat to convert him...  :)  The Buick just died, and
he's sick of dumping $20 a day of fuel in it anyways...

So, he's looking for something under $1000, within a 10 hour drive
from Niagara/Buffalo.  Anyone have anything?  Obviously for $1000 he's
not going to get a show car, but hopefully I can find him something
that's at least solid and won't require too much to put on the road...

Thanks!

Mark.
75
82