[Fwd: [syncronized] On flywheels]

On 3/9/07, Nate Mellom <doubt@inwave.com> wrote:
>  From my Syncro list.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts about lightening a flywheel? This would be for my
> '85 4 cylinder Quantum, whose clutch and flywheel will be replaced soon.
>
> Also, I know about machining or facing the flywheel, which I will have done
> in advance, but how do they lighten it?

I lightened a few VW flywheels in my previous life as an automotive
machinist wannabe...  The most common thing to do is remove the metal
that's beyond the ring gear (the flywheel is spun on a big-ass lathe
and is turned down flush to the ring gear).  This mass is furthest out
from the center, and is the most desirable mass to remove.  If further
lightening is required material on the back side of the friction
surface can be shaved down (removing the "bumps") BUT I wouldn't
recommend going this far for a street car, since you're reducing the
flywheels "heat sink" area which can lead to overheating - which can
contribute to cracking of the friction surface...

HTH,

Mark.
75
82