Just fishing...

I used this when adjusting my custom made linkages but might help you to
understand the What factor.

 Length Adjustment:

A final area where a fully adjustable shift linkage really shines is the
ability to fine tune the balance between gears. For example, if you find
shifting into 1st gear is a bit more difficult than 2nd, you can slightly
lengthen the forward selector rod. This lets it push the selector shaft into
the transaxle a little farther to make it easier to "reach" 1st gear. This
also helps 3rd and 5th gear shifting. Likewise, the rear selector rod can be
adjusted to balance 1st/2nd vs. 5th gear balance. Lengthening the rear
selector rod lets you reach 1st/2nd gear easier, shortening it lets you
reach 5th gear easier. The same logic applies for reverse gear, it is
farther over that 1st, so lengthen the rear selector rod more to make
reverse easier to reach. Or, if you have maxed out the length adjustment,
see below for how to reposition the selector lever on the main shift rod.

While it is also possible to move the selector lever on the main shift rod,
this involves climbing under the vehicle, unclamping and moving the lever
and re-clamping it to make adjustments. If you change the fore-aft position,
you can affect the shift lever alignment. Much easier to reach down from
above, and fine tune the rear selector rod.

So, tuning up the shift linkage system involves a lot of small improvements.
Since the linkage has so many parts that extend from the shift lever to the
transaxle itself, there is no ONE adjustment that will make it work perfect.
You need to align the shift lever properly, the move forward through the
linkage, finding and correcting any problems you encounter.