Couple of trany questions

Reading about the trany grenade made me think of my own mk1.  It has a couple of things that don't feel right and I don't know what's actually going on.

 1.  I can't shift into 1st unless the car is almost not moving, and 2nd is a little difficult to shift into also.  3rd 4th and 5th seem ok.
 2.  Every once in a while I hear a kink sound after I shift then let out the clutch.  You hear the same sound when the car is off and the engine stops.
 3.  Actually there is a 3rd question, :)  The clutch pedal is hard to push down is there a way to loosen that up?

Thanks

-Bill  1980s