OT: Passat reliability? (and i got a new car)

Hi Michael,

  I have a '00 V6 Passat wagon and really like it. It has great acceleration and handles really well. It seems to like going about 72mph on the highway to get the best highway milage and I regularly get 28-30mpg on the highway and about 25 city. A/C lowers this about 4mpg for both. I've had it about a year now and haven't really had to do anything other than replace a C/V joint but we'll all be doing that at one point or another anyway.

  -=Mark
  '80 Scirocco
  '81 Rabbit Sportruck
  '00 Dasher Estate

Michael Abatzis <mabatzis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  looking for a wagon for the gf. it's pretty much come down to a
'03-04 passat or '04-05 mazda6 (i'm going to test drive one now). the
mazdas seem like a great deal, but are kinda tough to find. passats
are a dime a dozen. people i know with a4's/passats have complained
about their reliability, as has consumer reports. any personal
experience? how bout the 1.8t v. v6? i'm leaning toward the v6. i'd
love the tdi, but it's pricey and rare. those mazda wagons are a
great deal; i can get an '05 v6, loaded, 20k miles for <$15k. in
comparison, her piece of crap (well, at least spartan, underpowered,
and boring) '04 civic with 30k miles can fetch about the same
price--and she bought it for $18k new. what is it about hondas that
make people want to pay for a car that only depreciated $3k in almost
4 years?

also, just spent way more than i wanted on a pristine '02 boxster s
with 40k miles (hence the need for a wagon now) with a 3 year/100k
warranty. the ones i was looking at for cheaper were being sold by
shady auto wholesalers without service records, so i bit the bullet on
something i plan on keeping forever. i had been trying to talk myself
into an s2000 because of the reliability, xenon, great gas mileage,
etc. i really liked the s2k, but man, that porsche is sweet. i
thought i was having a tough time between the cars, but my girlfriend
informed me about a month ago that she knew i'd end up with the
boxster. arctic silver, black interior. i pick it up in south
carolina on wed!

--
-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!