Daily beater Scirocco -- followup from August 2005

Hello, all.

I last wrote in August 2005, asking for advice on a 1984 British Racing
Green Scirocco that had been sitting in a friend's yard for 2 years on
suspicion of a dead clutch plate and lack of funds to repair it.  I
followed the list's advice and bought it upon my return to the US last
January and it's been my faithful daily beater from the first of
February 2006 until the present time.

The clutch plate had died, and there was some issue of an improper
bearing into the clutch.  The details are lost to history, I'm afraid,
although the paperwork is around the house somewhere.  The mechanic who
looked at it said he could find all the right parts and hope everything
else was good, or we could get a rebuilt engine (for about the same
price ...) and drop it in.  So, that's what we did.  Over the winter,
she wanted to stall, so I upped the idle a bit and she hasn't complained
a bit since.  She's a very reliable drive, although the AC doesn't work
(nothing cold anyway) and the 11 year old paint is starting to crack in
a few places.  Her fuel economy is around 30 mpg, the engine doesn't
hesitate.  After a year in my new driveway, I'm starting to notice where
the oil pan is, but I don't see fresh oil.  The interior seems original
and is in decent enough shape (really needs a new shift knob among other
things), and the dash has never seen light in at least the 10 years I've
known the car so I'll have to look to see if there are any cracks.

As I'm sure many have found before me, the back seats just aren't
conducive to a growing family and I am ashamed to admit my reliable
steed must find other pastures.  Thus, I ask the list for this advice:
How best to sell a Scirocco? (I don't want to take anybody, but I'm not
inclined to give it away either.)  eBay Motors?  Local newspaper?
Consignment through a local repair shop?  What important details does a
"good home" need to know about?  I've read over a few of the other "for
sale" posts, and while I can guarantee it doesn't have any sport
upgrades, I don't know anything about struts or most of the other
terms.  I live in North Austin, TX.

A special "hello" to the owner of the red (16v?) one in Northwest
Austin, if he subscribes.

Thanks for any advice.