From: Brendan Doyle <lord_verminaard@xxxxxxxxx>
To: scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:27:10 PM
Subject: The '84 for sale

With the 81 TDI swap needing to require so much time, the '84 has to go.  As much as I'd love to keep it and do a MS ITB project with it, I just do not have the room and resources to do so.  I'm basically selling it as a "parts" car since I had to scavenge things off of it for the '81.  As it sits right now, it is not running- and the oil cooler has leaked, therefore oil and coolant are mixed.  Once I knew this happened, (sometime back in December) the car has not been driven, only started and run a few times.  The car started immediately and ran about a month ago when I tried it.  Here's the basics:

'84 8-valve, JH engine with something like 200,000 on it.  As far as I know it's original.
4k tranny, with TT shift kit.
The engine has an Autotech tri-Y header, full 2" TT exhaust with NO cat.  The headers were bought used, I cleaned and painted them and installed them myself.  The Exhaust was done last year by myself, then modified later to eliminate the cat.  There is a Fox Throttle body on, with a port-matched intake manifold as well.  The engine also has the oil baffle and G-cam.   I also have an A2 crank pully which is smaller and lighter than the stock unit.  AC and condenser has been removed.

Front struts are pretty much shot, rears are new Parts House gabriels with HOR lowering springs.  The car has a full Polyurethane bushing kit just about everywhere, the ones I did not use/get around to installing will go with the car.  Pretty much all other front suspension bits have been replaced two years ago- ball joints, full tie rods, rack boots, bushings, front wheel bearings.  Brakes are not new but they work.  Rear drums have new shoes.  Both rear bearings and seals have been replaced within the last year.  All the engine mounts are new.  (except for the rear one which is in good shape)  Timing belt was just done with the cam, last year.  (less than 10k miles on it)  Valves also checked at this time- they were dead on spec.   Alternator was rebuilt by a local auto electric guy.  The battery is two years old, holds a charge fine.  Water pump and lower temp thermostat are both new.  Tranny was pulled and all seals replaced, along with the brass thrust washers in the
 diff.  Rear main seal in the engine also replaced.  Clutch cable new.  Clutch that is on the car has lots of life left- it looked brand new when I tore it down.  Synthetic 75w90 GL-4 tranny fluid used.  Fuel filter has less than a year on it.  Sunroof sort of works- probably needs new cables, but I took it apart and lubed everything up about a year ago.  It has a NEW sunroof seal.  The sunroof will open and close and slide but you have to "help" it along while you crank.  There is no headliner trim piece on the sunroof.  Also, it has a really nice Euro Rear bumper, that I spent a lot of time smoothing, filling, shaving and painting.  It's flawless and looks great.  Front bumper is stock U.S. spec that has been shortened by drilling and draining the shocks.

What it needs:  Obviously, a new oil cooler.  Will also need fresh oil and filter, and a coolant flush.  I would assume the car would be fine after this.  As well as that, there are no injectors in the car, also- plugs, cap, wires, coil have been pulled.  I can supply cheap auto parts brand cap, wires, and coil if needed.  The fuel pump is not hooked up, just stuck up there.  It was the pump off of my '81 and seems to work fine.  I swapped them as part of my troubleshooting on the '81.  Tires are two years old, fronts are showing wear but the rears look brand new.  They are cheap-o wal-mart tires, but they work.  They will go flat if the car sits for a long time  (a month or more) but they hold air if you drive it.  The relay kit that I made for the headlights has been cut out and swapped to the '81.  I also took the H4 bulbs out of the low-beam conversion headlights.  I left the wires in such a way that if you had a relay kit it would be easy to splice back in.  I also
 have a full set of front stock US-spec sealed beam headlights and turn signals and brackets in excellent condition that will go with the car.

I have some extras as well- some of the interior (center console and shifter boot, under dash tray, rear seats and rear seatbelts) are not installed but will come with it.  I also have three extra door cards, they are the later style without the cloth insert.  Original door cards are there as well and look ok. Power mirrors work.  Seats are in decent shape but the cloth is faded- they both have new slider bushings.  Headliner is dirty but not damaged.   Body overall is in pretty good shape.  There is a small rust hole in the drivers side door- and the car took a hit on the passenger front many moons ago and it's obvious when you open the hood and look around.  Hood release is broken, you have to reach through the grille to open it.  It was re-sprayed sometime ago a strange metallic purple color.  It looks black most of the time but you can see it at certain angles in the sun.  Kinda strange.  Floors are solid, fenders are solid, underbody is solid except for the usual
 places where somebody put a jackstand where it wasn't supposed to be, and there is hardly any rust on the car overall.  All the glass is good, front and rear wipers work but the front wiper linkage is worn.  No leaks except for the rear hatch sometimes.

I've tried to be as thorough and honest as possible.  A little TLC would make this a really nice car.  The shell is good enough for whatever project as well, and there are some good parts on it if you just need a parts car.  Title is clear.  I'd like to get $600 for it, I may be able to arrange delivery a small distance for a fee.  I'm in Central Ohio.  I'll try and find some pics to put up somewhere.

Thanks for reading!
Brendan